Tuesday, December 8, 2015

VERITY TRUMAN


Verity Truman (flute, saxophone, tin whistle, vocals) formed Redgum in Adelaide in 1975 with singer-songwriter John Schumann and Michael Atkinson on guitars/vocals. They were soon joined by Chris Timms on violin.Redgum was an Australian folk and political music group  All four had been students at Flinders University and together developed an intensely passionate and outspoken outlook. They are best known for their protest song exploring the impact of war in 1983's "I Was Only Nineteen (A Walk in the Light Green)", which peaked at #1 on the National singles charts. The song is in the Australasian Performing Right Association (APRA) list of Top 30 of All Time Best Australian Songs created in 2001. After leaving the band, Truman joined the cabaret/cover band Crossroads.



5 comments:

  1. I remember in 1991, I was at a Job Club in Adelaide. A Job Club helped a person fix up their resume, honed interview techniques and eventually employment. I wonder if J C's still exist ? Anyway, I was fixing my resume; no internet at this time, and there was a woman next to me likely doing the same. It was only years later, I realised that woman was Redgum's Verity Truman. Still to this day, I can't stand I Was Only 19, but I will never forget how organically friendly Verity was and likely still is. To coin the Magic Dirt album title, "What Are Rock Stsrs Doing Today?" Possibly a 'Job Club' ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister was going out with John Schumann at the time and Redgum came and played a few numbers at our house on a cold winter's night in 1984. I remember Verity as being a no-nonsense lovely lady.

    ReplyDelete
  3. correction - it was 1982.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How is she lesser known ? She is amazing and such a gift to redgums’ history

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ask any punter in the street. Most wouldn't know

      Delete