Wednesday, May 25, 2016

ADRIELLE SPENCE


Adrielle Spence is a bass player from Griffith NSW. She has played with Box the Jesuit, Massappeal, Pleasure Ground and Son of Set

Interview from Fandalism

How long have you been playing? I've been playing for 32 years. I started at age 10. I just always wanted to play guitar, as early as I have memory. My first "guitars" were ukes! My parents gave me my first real guitar at 8, & I was onto bass at 10.

What was the first concert you ever went to? Probably Pseudo Echo! It was at the Yoogali Club in Griffith, my home town in NSW. I went with some school friends. It was memorable because I loved that band - at the time!

What gear do you use? Maton JB4 Fretless; Fender Vintage '75 Jazz; Eden Traveller Amp; Genz Benz 2x10 cab. I love both basses, but my fretless is my favourite.

Who was your biggest musical influence growing up? It would have been Duran Duran. It was John Taylor's bass playing style that made me switch from guitar to bass. The first song I taught myself Hungry Like the Wolf. I didn't have a clue what the tuning was on a bass (figured it out shortly after) - I just put it on, threw "Rio" on the turntable, & off I went!

Are you in a band? Have you been in bands? I've been in many, many bands in my lifetime. I'm now in Son of Set. We are psychedelic garage rock! We met when they supported my previous band for our last show. When their bassist left, I harassed them until they let me audition. We play regularly around Melbourne.

If you could jam with anyone, who would it be? Keith Moon & Pete Townsend. John Entwhistle is my absolute favourite player, & probably the bassist I am most similar to in my style. Playing with his drummer & guitarist would be a dream.

What's the biggest audience you ever performed to? What's the smallest? I played with Massappeal on the Skate Stage at the first Big Day Out in 1992. That one was Sydney only, & about 5000 people. About that many were watching our set. The smallest? Probably the other night at Blue Tile Lounge... But we won't talk about that...

You're stuck on a desert island and only get to bring one album with you. What do you pick? 
Quadrophenia by the Who. It gets better every time I hear it. Songs I didn't like so much are now favourites. It is full of excellent songwriting & brilliant rhythm section playing.



No comments:

Post a Comment