Wednesday, July 21, 2021

JAN CARTER

 


Jan Carter was born in the late 1930s. She states her career started when she was discovered by Jack Neary (who also managed Bobby Limb, John Laws and Barry Humphries) at an amateur show in Sydney at the tender age of 17. She reflected ''They had to put my age up when he started to produce me for pantomimes, theatre, TV and night clubs." Carter did a course at NIDA (National Institute of Dramatic Arts) and later spent five years at the Academy of Music in Sydney where she learnt to sing Bel Canto (an Italian opera term). At around the same time, she did a radio show on 3AW with Bert Newton. Carter sang all over the world and did a royal command performance for Prince Philip in 1956 at the Melbourne Olympic Games. She appeared on many TV shows including Bandstand and Showcase. She recorded on the HMV label in the early 60s.



8 comments:

  1. If anyone knows what happened to Jan Carter, could reply to this comment with your contact details. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I know what happened , she’s retired now in Yamba

      Delete
  2. If you are still wondering, message me 0408882150

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan is or was my first cousin, daughter of Dorothy Carter. My name is Donna Hughes

      Delete
    2. Dorothy Carter was my grandmother. Chris

      Delete
  3. Hi Donna my name is Chris I’m her son . We’re related !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris, is Jan still alive, I’ve researched and think she lives in Yamba NSW. I live in NZ. My father was Jan’s uncle. My email is donnahughes29.dh@gmail.com

      Delete
    2. Hi Donna I just saw this message. I’ll send you an email . Chris

      Delete